Friday, February 27, 2009

Lent: Give it up for Jesus!


With Lent well underway, I’m still not fully decided as to what I’m going to give up this year. All of my major decisions involve my sweetheart, Brian, and he’s been out of town since Friday… :-(   Thankfully he’s due home today! The girls and I are super excited….. so I’m sure tonight we’ll try and make a joint decision as to what our sacrifice will be. Last year we gave up TV and secular music. That was a hard one- but wow.. I loved it. I felt that my soul was cleansed… and afterwards, I felt very sensitive to the crap out there that we grow numb to everyday…  But, my girls and I watch American Idol together almost every night (we’re way behind–just finished up at the mansion last night) and I love that time together… And honestly, one of my New Year’s Resolutions was to “watch more TV with Brian.”  He loves his TV– off or on. He just loves that little box. And I never watch it… would much rather be editing pictures than starring at a movie…. so I’ve tried to make his priorities mine.. and this included turning off my little box (computer) and watching a little TV with him. It’s really great.. he plays with my feet and it lets me unwind…… So again, all of that to say, I’m probably not going to give up TV unless Brian decides that’s what he wants.

OK- some of my choices are:

Shopping.

Artificial Sugars… (the very thing that allows me to get through my daily attempts at dieting)

Chocolate…. which I have to have every night.

If you’ve never done anything for lent, I would definitely encourage you to do so! It’s exciting to see what God can do for you whenever you give up something you LOVE for HIM! And when I get the cravings or find myself wanting to do the thing I can’t, that’s when I pray. Not just LORD TAKE AWAY MY DESIRE FOR CHOCOLATE, but REALLY pray… And I don’t go running into a prayer closet and pour ashes on my head… I just stop and remember that my very best friend is with me always and cares about every tiny thing I do, and every thought I think, and every stress I carry… everything! I’m definitely one of those who enjoy the Bible verse, “pray without ceasing” because honestly, i do. Not because I try to, but because it’s easy to and I want to. I want to involve God in the mundane things of my life… “Uhhhh, God, where are my keys again?” or “God, thank you that the girls slept a little longer today and I had time to make my taco soup.” And, “Lord, please wrap your arms around that girl who looks so lonely.”….. etc… you know.. it’s just a constant conversation we keep going…

So, Lent… just think about it. It’s still WEEK ONE… so you’re not far behind if you want to start today with me!

Oh.. and since I always like to add a picture to my posts… here’s something from this week: Olivia dressed herself for school for the first time… and I actually let her wear it. Good Mom. Now THERE’S a sacrifice!!! hahahaha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You GOTTA let her wear it...it's TOO funny not to